Geographic tongue is common disease and occurs in about 2% of the population. It can happen at any age, race or gender. When you catch geographic tongue, face to face communication with others, you feel uncomfortable at all, you will have to be careful about the eyes of others when thinking of yourself.
However, geographic tongue is a treatable disease and there are many ways can help you get rid of it effectively. Here are home remedies for geographic tongue from the very simple methods that we want to guide people to know how to quickly eliminate this irritating disease that does not need to be too expensive!
What is Geographic Tongue?
Geographic tongue is a benign type of tongue inflammation. On the tongue, there are patches like a map with white border, inside tongue is darker red than normal tongue, gradually widening. There are usually no symptoms but some cases of tongue irritation are common, especially with hot or spicy foods. This discomfort can come and go over time and is more noticeable at a certain time like menstrual periods of women and during pregnancy.
The exact cause is unknown, but the following factors are related to the condition:
- Commonly occurring in patients with psoriasis, diabetes, anemia, allergies (asthma and / or eczema) and psychological stress.
- In some patients, special foods seem to be a trigger factor, especially cheese.
- Genetics: In a family, there can be many people who catch the geographic tongue simultaneously.
- Hormonal: Variations with the menstrual cycle and during pregnancy.
Although it looks weird, this situation has absolutely nothing to do with cancer or any chronic illness, and the person who carries the tongue of the geographic, should adopt this as a special trait of yourself. However, there are still ways to relieve this above syndrome, you try to apply home remedies for the geographic tongue as follows.
Home Remedies for Geographic Tongue
Method 1: Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a natural cleanser because it contains oil. On the other hand, it also contains enzymes that digest proteins, which helps destroy dead tissue while cleaning the teeth as well as the tongue.
You apply the gel of an aloe vera leaf on the tongue and keep it for 10 minutes. Gargle with warm water or salt water to clean your tongue. You should 2-3 times a day to gain the best result. However, aloe vera is harmful to you if you do not use properly.
You need extract the gel safely as follows:
Step 1: Wash aloe vera leaf under the running tap.
Step 2: Dry aloe leaf with a damp towel and let the leaf dry completely.
Step 3: Use a scissor to cut and groove to “open” aloe vera leaf.
Step 4: Use the knife to remove the cover (on one side of the leaf) along with the yellow parts inside. The gel you want to extract must be transparent. If you have any yellow or blue parts, you must remove them.
Step 5: Use a knife or spoon to scrape the gel. Note do not shave into the shell (the other side of the leaf).
Step 1: Peel off the cover of aloe vera, take the gel inside.
Step 2: Soak the gel in the saltwater for about 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly to reduce the viscosity, keep it drain.
Step 3: Put the gel into the liquidizer, do not grind too softly.
Step 4: Follow pour the water into the pot and mix with sugar to boil. When the water is boiling, you put the grinded gel in, then stir a few turns. Then turn off the stove.
You keep the gel to cool down and drink. You drink aloe vera juice 2 or 3 times daily.
Method 2: Mint
Mint contain antiseptic properties to protect your teeth from the attack of harmful bacteria as well as the inflammation of your tongue.
- Mint leaves wash and drain.
- Boil water, dip tea bags into the boiling pot, add to mint leaves and soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Take the filter bag and pour tea into the cup and drink.
- If you want to drink cold, you can put the mint tea into the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
You should tie the filter bags to each other before dipping for easily taking when soaked.
You need 30g of mint leaves and 1 tablespoon of salt.
How to proceed:
- Wash mint leaves then pound and squeeze to extract the juice.
- Mix the juice with 50ml of warm water and add 1 tablespoon of salt to stir until salt is completely dissolved, then gargle.
- Gargle continuously for about 5 minutes, rinse off your mouth with water.
Method 3: Apple Cider Vinegar
The low pH level in your body allows bacteria as well as fungi to exist. Baking soda is a base and apple cider vinegar have acidic characteristics. If you combine them together, it will disturb the growing environment of the bacteria and fungus. This powerful combination makes the fungi powerless and can not last long in the body.
- You mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with ¼ tablespoon of baking soda into a glass of warm water.
- You use the solution as a mouthwash daily.
Alternatively, you can get rid of the geographic tongue with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey.
- You mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with ½ tablespoon of honey and stir together.
- Keep the mixture in your mouth 15 – 20 minutes and do this 2-3 times daily to get the desired effect.
Method 4: Coconut oil/Olive oil/Sesame oil
With antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, essential oil will quickly kill the bacteria that will help reduce inflammation and pain will gradually soften.
- You take a small amount of cotton wool and a few drops of essential oil such as coconut oil, olive oil or sesame oil and then insert directly into the teeth.
- Then lightly bite into the place which cotton soaked in essential oil so that oil can spread to all areas of inflammation tongue.
- In case you are too painful, you do not need to bite lightly, because the essential oil will diffuse itself.
- You should hold cotton soaked with essential oil in your mouth several times a day to relieve inflammation and swelling.
- Pour a small spoonful of oil, then put oil into the mouth. Do not give too much oil, because when you chew, saliva will secret too much, that results in filling the oral cavity will make it difficult to chew.
- Turning the oil through space between the teeth (like gargling), the oil will mix with saliva and reach all the mouth.
- Sometimes you can stop a little to avoid fatigue.
- If the amount of oil + saliva is too full, you should spit out a few to make it easier.
- Keep it for 20 minutes.
- Then remove the oil, do not swallow and rinse off your mouth with warm water or physiological saline to remove all the oil.