Summers are here, and with this killing heat, each one of us prefers having minimum cloth on our bodies. Imagine being at a beach with sloppy stomach? I am sure none of us want people staring and body shaming us. 6 pack abs always end up stealing the show. Whether you have a day out on the beach or a physique competition or any other place where you have to be dressed scantily, 6 pack abs would always steal the show.
10 Best Exercises for 6 Pack Abs
You squat, thrust, crunch and crunch again. But the top 10 best exercises for abs are:
1) Abdominal Hold
This exercise might look wonky and you might find it difficult to balance, but initially you would require somebody for support. Just using a decent chair can do this exercise for abs at home.
- Sit on a tall edge of a chair and place your hands on the edge and your fingers pointing towards your knees
- Slowly tighten your abs and bring toes 2 inches off the floor, lifting your butt off the chair.
- Hold this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Lower yourself down and repeat the same for 1 minute.
Recommended Read :
2) The Side Oblique Crunch
This move would look a slightly difficult, but, as you know NO PAIN, NO GAIN! A good exercise for abs would help you test your balance and flex your oblique muscles.
- Kneel on the floor on your right side and place your right palm on the floor
- Keep your weight balanced on the right side and point elbow towards the ceiling
- Lift your leg to the hip height and extend your arm above your leg
- Look out over your hand as you bring the left side of your rib cage towards the hip
- Lower your starting position and repeat 6-8 times as you switch sides.
3) The 100
The free Pilates move is an ideal exercise for abs in a gym.
- Sit tall on the mat with knees bent by your chest and hands on the side
- Lie down as your knees are best and palms face downwards
- Exhale and raise your head and shoulders of the mat
- Pump your arms in 6 inches up and down reaching for your fingertips
- Inhale for 5 pumps, exhale for 5 pumps with your chin towards your chest
- Do 100 bumps or 10 full breaths. Remember to keep your lower back pressed towards the floor and lower abs pulled up to the spine.
Also Read : How to Lose Weight by Yoga ?
4) Opposite Arm & Leg Raise
This exercise for upper abs, is a good warm up routine as well, as it will make you feel steadier and balanced.
- Begin on all fours, align your knees under the hips and wrists under your shoulders.
- Raise your left arm to shoulder height and left hip to the height
- Hold steady for 2 counts as you reach your fingers and back with your heels
- Repeat this on the opposite side
- Do 15-20 reps on both the sides
5) Prone Plank
The exercise for lower abs is really simple and you can do it either at home or the gym.
- Get into a full push-up position with your palms on the floor
- Hold firmly for 30 seconds as your abs, arms and legs start contracting
- This will help you build strength
- You can also do a switch plank the same way.
6) Squat Thrust With Twist
Squat Thrust is a good exercise for abs besides sit ups.
- Stand with your feet and shoulder wide apart and extend your arms in front of your shoulder
- Begin squatting down and bending your knees 90 degrees while moving your body to the left
- Now repeat the same towards the right
- Keep the weight in your heels and do not allow your knees to touch your toes
- Keep the knees facing forward as your chest and shoulder move side to side
Also See : How to Lose Weight fast at Home ?
7) Leg Climb Crunch
This effective one is better than doing any crunches as you lie down.
- Start this exercise by lying on the floor with 3 foot long scarf or a towel wrapped around the ball of your foot, with your knees spent and left foot on the floor
- Holding scarf in both the hand, extend right leg as your foot flexes
- Slowly walk your hand up the scarf as you lift the shoulders on the floor. Hold for 2 counts
- Now lower your body to the start position and start taking your hand back down
- Do two sets of 8-10 reps on each side
8) Ballet Twist
This exercise is for abs building as it is more to do with stretching as you do a half crunch.
- Sit on the floor and stretch your legs
- Lean back 45 degrees from the hips
- Keep your abs engaged as you bring both arms overhead like a ballerina
- As you twist your torso to the right and keeping your arm on the net. Take left arm reaching overhead for a slow count of 3.
- Repeat the movement. Keeping left arm on the floor and your butt and heels on the floor
- Contract your abs to support spine as you bring both arms overhead
- Continue doing alternate sides
9) Single-Leg Stretch
One of the top exercises for developing abs is the leg stretch.
- Lie down on the yoga mat with knees bent and your chin towards the chest area
- Inhale as you take your left knee towards the chest, as you place left hand on your hand and right hand on the knee
- Rise leg to 45 degrees
- Switch sides and legs are you continue doing the reps.
10) The Cobra
After doing a lot of crunches, the cobra pose is a good change in the exercise and will make you feel lighter with the change.
- Lie facedown on the floor with palms near your chest
- Lift head, shoulders, chest off the floor pulling shoulder blades down
- Hold for 2 counts and repeat 8-10 times.
Image Credits : Featured Image