Avil 25 mg tablet is an anti-allergic drug manufactured by Sanofi India Limited that helps treat several allergic conditions. The primary aim of the tablet is to offer relief from an itchy and runny nose, congestion, sneezing and watery eyes, among others. One can also take Avil 25 mg for sleep. The dose of Avil depends on what you’re taking it for. Though the tablet is readily available at a pharmacy without prescription, it’s highly advised that you take it as instructed by the doctor. Before you take this medication, make sure that you inform your doctor if you have any underlying health conditions or if you are taking any other medicines.
Avil 25 uses majorly include the treatment of several conditions such as:
- Allergic rhinitis ( vasomotor and acute)
- Motion sickness
- Runny nose
- Hay fever
- Skin itching
- Rashes on the skin
- Ear disorders like Meniere’s disease
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- As a sleeping pill
- Swelling of throat, face and tongue
- Breathing difficulties
- Serum sickness
- Food allergy
Now that you know the Avil 25 use, let’s have a look at some of its side effects.
The side effects of Avil 25 include bradycardia and drowsiness. An Avil 25 overdose might result in sleep disorders. It can also cause seizures if one takes it in interaction with alcohol. The medicine might even lower levels of epinephrine (adrenaline), which, in turn, may lead to unconsciousness.
The Avil 25 side effects are:
- Severe Allergic Reaction
- Irregular heartbeat
- blurred vision
- Urinary retention
It’s advisable to get in touch with your doctor at the earliest if you encounter any symptoms daily. The side effects of Avil 25 tablet have been witnessed by an extremely low percentage of the population.
After learning about Avil 25 mg uses as well as side effects, let’s have a look at its price.
Avil 25 mg price in India (Maximum Retail Price) – Rs. 7.50 (15 Tablets)
Avil 25 price per tablet: Rs. 0.55/tablet
Avil is an H1 Receptor Antagonist and contains Pheniramine (an alkylamine derivative) as its active medicinal ingredient. Avil 25 tablet belongs to the class of anti-histamines and also contains moderate sedative and anticholinergic effects.
Avil 25 dosage is very essential while utilizing it to treat any form of allergy, motion sickness or allergic rhinitis. As an Avil overdose can harm the patient in several ways, the dosage of Avil 25 mg contains ½ to 1 tablet thrice a day for the adults and ½ a table thrice a day for kids who are between 5 and 10 years. The medicine isn’t recommended for kids who are below the age of 5. To avoid travel sickness, one should take the first Avil dose at least 30mins before traveling. If, in case, a person misses an Avil 25 dose or overdoses, below listed are the instructions that need to be considered:
- Missed Avil 25 dose: You should take the missed Avil dose as and when you remember. Skip the missed dose if it’s almost time to take the next dose. Don’t double up your dose to compensate for the missed Avil dose.
- Overdose of Avid 25: You should consult a doctor or seek emergency medical assistance at the earliest if you take an overdose of Avil.
Below listed are the medicines which contain the same composition and strength as the Avil 25 mg tablet and can, therefore, be used as an Avil 25 substitute:
- Intavil 25 mg tablet- Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Pheniramine Maleate (Sonafi) 25 mg tablet- Sonafi India Ltd
- Apvil 25 mg tablet- Ridley Life Sciences Pvt
- Pheniramine 25 tablet- Penta Pharma
- Eralet 25 mg tablet- Maxzimaa Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Pheniramine 25 mg tablet- Ave-Aventis Pharma
How does Avil 25mg work?
Avil 25 mg is an anticholinergic and anti-histamine medicine. When a person’s body is exposed to an allergen such as animal dander, pollen, etc, it produces a chemical compound known as histamine. This causes blocked or running nose, watery eyes, skin rashes, itching, sneezing, etc. The Avil 25 tablet blocks the histamine and relieves the person from these symptoms. The medicine shows its effect within 15 to 30 mins of administration.
Precautions and How to Use
A person should take Avil 25 tablet in the duration and dose as suggested by the doctor. Swallow the medicine whole. Don’t break, crush or chew it. Avil 25 needs to be taken with or after food. A few aspects that an individual needs to remember while taking the tablet include:
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia: Avil 25 mg should not be taken for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia that might cause difficulty while passing urine.
- Anti-depressants: Doctors don’t recommend taking Avil along with anti-depressants as it can lead to severe effects like constipation, blurred vision, urinary retention and dryness in the mouth.
- Closed-Angle Glaucoma: Those who have closed-angle glaucoma should not take Avil as the medicine could cause vision-related issues.
- Hyper-sensitivity: Individuals who have an allergy to any form of anti-histamine should avoid the use of Avil 25.
- Premature infants: Avil is not recommended for newborn kids, premature infants and kids below the age of 5.
- Pregnancy: Most people are confused and often question- ‘Is Avil 25 safe during pregnancy?’ Doctors have reported several instances where Avil has caused adverse effects upon the foetus. Hence, pregnant women should avoid the use of this tablet unless possible benefits of Avil exceed the risks that are involved.
- Breastfeeding: Just like how going-to-be-mums should avoid the use of Avil 25 during pregnancy, the medicine should also be avoided during breastfeeding as it might affect the quality and quantity of the breast-milk.
A few other pointers to keep in mind are:
- Avil 25 should be stored away from direct sunlight, in a cool & dry place.
- Avil 25 mg shouldn’t be taken along with steroids.
- In the case of numbness or tingling sensation, one should immediately seek medical treatment or contact a doctor.
Action & Related Warnings
Avil 25 mg interacts differently for different people. One should consult their doctor to know about any possible interactions before taking Avil 25 for allergy or any other health condition. Below are the interactions of Avil 25 tablet with other medicines, alcohol and diseases.
Interaction with Medicines
Mixing up two or more medications might change the effectiveness of the drug. It could also elevate the risk of side-effects. Some of the medicines that might interact with Avil 25 mg are:
- Aminoglycoside Antibiotics
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors
Interaction with Alcohol
The interaction of Avil 25 with alcohol can lead to an increased risk of depression, impaired thinking and impaired judgment. Thus, doctors recommend discontinuing alcohol consumption while taking Avil 25 mg. However, in case a person consumes alcohol while on the course of Avil 25, he/she should refrain from performing any activities that need high mental awareness such as operating a heavy machine or driving a car.
Interaction with Disease
As mentioned above, doctors highly advise to avoid the consumption of Avil if an individual is:
- Suffering from Closed-Angle Glaucoma
General warnings associated with Avil 25 mg
- Don’t take more than the prescribed Avil 25 dose.
- Use it only to treat a condition as directed by the doctor.
- Don’t use the medicine after the expiry date mentioned on the label or packet has passed.